Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Simple Grits by The Lee Brothers

So, I'm sure you can tell, I've altered the recipe. My scribbles are on the page but, as always, I will give you the original. I had been looking for a good grits recipe... one that really showed how to properly make them, and I stumbled upon The Lee Brother's (South Carolina-bred brothers)Southern Cookbook called "Our First Cookbook", about two years ago at the library. There is a world of knowledge on grits in there and loads of recipes for them too like Summer Herbed Grits, SLAB BACON GRITS (hello, bacon, I love you even more now), Clemson Blue Cheese Grits, Lemon Grits, Grits Cakes... and then there is this WHOLE guide to grits. What a fantastic world we live in!

Simple Grits

2 C. Whole Milk
2 C. Water
1 C. Stone-Ground Grits
3/4 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 TBL Unsalted Butter

1. Pour the milk and water into a 2 quart saucepan, cover, and turn the heat to medium-high. When the milk mixture boils (about 5 minutes), uncover the pot, add the grits and salt, and reduce the heat to medium. Stir constantly until the grits are the consistency of this soup and release a fragrant sweet-corn perfume, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, about about 20 minutes, until the grits thicken and fall lazily from the end of the spoon. Cook about 15 minutes more, stirring constantly to prevent the grits from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

2. When the grits are creamy and fluffy and soft,, turn off the heat, add the pepper and butter, and stir to incorporate. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Does that say 3/4 cup whole milk or 3-4 cups?? I need to know this... because you know how obsessed with your grits I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA!!! 3-4 Cups... I use 4. Just depends on how long you want to let it cook down. :)

    ReplyDelete