Friday, October 28, 2011

Potage Parmentier - Leek & Potato Soup adapted from Julia Child


I have adapted this recipe a bit, made it vegan and is gluten free as well!

As the wonderful and infamous Julia Child says, "... it smells good, tastes good, and is simplicity itself to make." You can add anything else you like to it to make it the way you would like to have it, but it is warm and wonderful with a side of oven baked bread and a crisp salad :)

4 lbs peeled potatoes, sliced or diced
2 lbs Leeks, thinly sliced
6 quarts water
2 TBL Sea Salt

8 C. Water
1/2 C. Cashew Cream
1 TBL Granulated garlic
Sea Salt and Fresh ground pepper to taste
6 TBL minced Flat Leaf Parsley

1) Bring potatoes to a boil in the 6 quarts of water. While you are waiting, start the cashew cream and slice the leeks.

2) Potatoes will be done when a fork or knife can easily slide into the center of the thickest part. Once done, drain into a colander and set aside.

3) Add the 8 Cups of water to your pot along with the sliced leeks. Allow to simmer. While you are waiting for the leeks to simmer, finish making the cashew cream.

4) Mash the potatoes until they are to the consistency that you like. I use my Kitchen Aid with the paddle attachment like I would be making mashed potatoes - I like this soup chunky.

5) Once the leeks are tender, add the mashed potatoes to the water and leeks. Slowly and gently stir until well blended. Add the cashew cream, sea salt, and pepper.  Serve with the parsley sprinkled on top.

Serves 10-12 happy people :)

3 comments:

  1. I am not a good cook, so I am hoping to learn a few things from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do just fine! Let me know if you have any questions - I might be a little slow to answer, but will respond!

    ReplyDelete